Zero length files - again

Think you've found a bug? Report them here.

Zero length files - again

Postby alanst » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:38 am

Greetings from a new member but I have been using DABBar/WaveFinder for some years.

Back in the mists of time, around Jan 2005, there was some discussion on here of Zero length recordings from the WaveFinder/DABBar but it came to no serious conclusion, as far as I can see. It happens to me also and, if anything, is getting more frequent. DABBar goes through all the motions of timer recording, including the flashing red dot.

Last Sunday, 15th June, I left the timer to make 5 separate recordings from BBC R4 - all of which were absolutely fine. They were spread throughout the day. Last night, 17th, it made a zero length recording from BBC R4! This was the only recording of the day. I THINK it only happens on timer recordings, I don't recall manual recordings suffering, though I very rarely make a manual RX.

The ONLY difference in procedure was that, on Sunday, I plugged the WaveFinder into the USB socket AFTER the PC booted and last night it was already in the USB, and powered, when the PC booted.

I can't see that the plugging sequence would be the cause, so was any further thought given to the problem?

Many thanks for a useful forum.

Alan S.

p.s. Running Windows 2000 Pro - SP4
1Gb memory
DABbar version 1.3a
alanst

Re: Zero length files - again

Postby Alistair MacDonald » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:57 am

I don't think re really ever concluded what was leading to the problem. It is interesting that when you plug the device in appears to change things, and should not make any difference, but it is quite possible.
Alistair MacDonald
Site Admin

Postby Bob Imrie » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:43 am

I still occasionally get zero length files, but can normally limit this by having my dabbar set to the station I want to record. Does mean I can't record different stations on the timer, but BBC's "listen again" has eased that!
Bob
Bob Imrie

Postby dastocks » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:52 pm

The problem is related to bitrate changes - I try to avoid scheduling recordings at the times when I know these are happening. A particular trouble spot is when R4 splits into Daily Service/Book of the Week at 0945 on weekdays.
dastocks

Postby alanst » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:36 pm

Ah, recordings over bitrate changes would make sense because it often happens with recordings of The Archers from R4 (Don't say a word!). There is sometimes a bitrate change at 19:15 and if TA hasn't finished, playing the resultant (if not zero length) file in WinAmp causes problems at the change. I'll look out for that and see if it ties up. Thanks for the suggestion. Alan S.
alanst

Postby alanst » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:32 am

An update - Yes, I rather think bitrate changes are causing mayhem to WaveFinder recordings!

Last evening (26/7/08) I left it set to make two simultaneous recordings, from R3 and R4. The R3 recording was from 18:59 to 22:30 (Prom) and the R4 recording was from 19:59 to 21:10. Both dumped out and stopped recording at 20:00 precisely.

Although both recorded normally up to that point, I do notice that R4 was in 80kbps mono up to that point. R3 was in 192kbps and probably didn't change but the WF was thrown by the reconfig on R4, which is sort of understandable.

I realise that there may be no was round the problem but thought you'd like to know, for future reference.

Further thought suggests something has changed. I well remember that on occasions, the end of The Archers on R4 would slightly overrun 19:15 and the reconfig for the evening. In those days the speed of the replay would change. I haven't heard that happen for some time. Maybe it just depends on how it catches DabBar?

Thanks again for your time. Good luck on this one.

Alan S.
alanst

Return to Bug report