Does the Mod Tech card really work with Windows 7?? YES!

Having problems? Discover solutions here

Does the Mod Tech card really work with Windows 7?? YES!

Postby aardvark » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:32 pm

I have started a new topic to try and clarify the issue.

Some members have claimed that the card works with Win 7, but when asked for clarification, there has been little forthcoming.

I have spent hours trying and failing, so I would appreciate any information.

If anyone has a working Mod Tech card working with Win 7, please let us in to the secret - i.e. was it installed as administrator, is it run in compatibility mode etc.

Thanks
Last edited by aardvark on Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
aardvark

Re: Does the Mod Tech card really work with Windows 7??

Postby PaulR » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:29 am

Yes, the Mod Tech card really does work with Windows 7 - but only with the 32bit version of Windows 7. This is because there are no 64bit drivers for this card.

It is a long time since I installing it, but as far as I remember you need to use the latest version of the Mod Tech software and run the install program as administrator. This is because the installer is so old, it does not ask for administrator access itself.
PaulR

Re: Does the Mod Tech card really work with Windows 7??

Postby aardvark » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:38 pm

Thanks for the info - when I get time, I will have another try.

You say
you need to use the latest version of the Mod Tech software
. I thought there was only an old version available, as the company no longer produces the card - but I will have a look at that too!
aardvark

Re: Does the Mod Tech card really work with Windows 7?? YES!

Postby aardvark » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:57 pm

So, there is a Father Christmas after all!

After playing about with the Mod Tech card and Win7 for a few hours today, I finally managed to get it working!

To start with, every time I opened Dabbar, I got the error message 'The system cannot find the file specified' and then multiple error dialogue boxes saying 'Access violation at address 0045C90C in module 'Dabbar.exe'. Read of address 00000000'. The only way out of the boxes was to go into Task Manager and close down Dabbar.exe from there.

I then checked Device Manager and found an error on a PCI other bridge device, which I guessed was the Mod Tech card. I installed the Mod Tech driver and the card was recognised.

Dabbar then found the Mod Tech card and the multiplexes and is working fine :-)

For info, I am using Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit and I also updated most of the Windows Updates (which could have made an effect)

Thanks to PaulR for confirming it does work and making me try once more!
aardvark

Postby Kenward » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:05 pm

As the original post says, those who have got this to work in Win 7 have provided little in the way of detailed instructions beyond using the traditional installation procedure.

That's fine if it works, but not if you are trying to troubleshoot.

I once got it to work but after a complete meltdown in Win 7, it won't work now. I have followed the usual installation advice. It still does not work.

All I see is an error in device manager. In "Sound, video and game controllers" it shows an error "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" for "Modular Technology DRE200P DAB PCI xard v.1.0.0.0".

I see no errors, or entry for a "PCI other bridge device".

But I do seem to recall seeing this device when the thing was working.

Someone talked of using the latest version of the Modular software. I have two versions, "DAB1320a" and "DABPCI_21". The first looks to be younger, mostly 2003-10 against 2002-07. Any advance on that?
MK
Kenward

Postby aardvark » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:01 pm

I originally tried to instal the card in March this year, so I have forgotten exactly what I did, other than try all the variations of administrator and compatibility modes, no no avail. I saved a disc image to try again later. So, I am not a great help at remembering the exact procedure I used.

To be blindingly obvious, the fault appears to be in the hardware not being recognised - as mine was. Normally, there is an option to reinstall the driver for any hardware showing a fault in Device Manager. I presume you have tried that?
Also, you could try moving the card to a different PCI slot. If you haven't got one, try removing the card, cleaning it, re booting, switching off then reinstall (to fool the computer :-))
I have solved problems in the past by reseating cards, so it is worth a try.

As to the software, I am using the original disc DABPCI_02. I wasn't aware of any other Mod Tech software available.

The final point is have you updated Win 7? A very long shot, but you never know. As I was fiddling with the card and updating at the same time (bad practice!) I cannot be 100% sure it was just me updating the driver that solved my problem.

Good luck and keep us updated!
aardvark

Postby MarkGorst » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:55 am

The XP machine packed up last week so I had to go through the rigmarole of reinstalling for the first time in about 5 years....

Installed everything using "As Adminstrator" (from experience that's necessary in some cases even if you have an administrator account, there can be a subtle difference).

DABPCI_21 seems to be the correct installation to get it going, and that sorts out (as you said) the PCI Bridge device driver and makes it a ModTech. I seem to recall that using the ModTech update DAB1305 means the ModTech works, but DabBar doesn't so I've left that well alone.

DabBar13bCR1 and EPGe114a seem to work ok and I've got back to where I was before (thanks for the notes).

So it was up and running quickly.

However - there appears to be a difference in Windows 7 as to where info is kept. I cannot find the EPGData folder (which used to sit under Program Files\DabBar where I installed EPGExplorer, nor can I find where it keeps it's "schedule.csv" file for keeping the list of programs. I wanted to install my backup of my schedule, but, again it doesn't appear to be under the Program Files\DABBar where DabBar.exe resides.

I'm sure this is a Windows 7 difference, but, as search is a bit hit and miss sometimes, I haven't found them either by name or by date in other locations - they must be there as it's kept services, schedule and EPG.

Anyone got any clues ?

Mark
MarkGorst

Postby MarkGorst » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:59 pm

Got it.

Straightforward command line DIR search found out that the files under Windows 7 now lurk under the rather easy to remember...

c:\users\(me)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\DAB Bar\
MarkGorst

Postby Kenward » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:09 pm

The card also works in Windows 10, but only the 32-bit version, not 64-bit.

Unless someone has found a way to get over that barrier.
MK
Kenward

Postby MarkGorst » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:53 am

Still early days. Card had been running ok, but yesterday I reintroduced "sleep" to see if DabBar would wake up Windows.

As I've got a whole slew of access violations

[see Aadvarks first posting :

To start with, every time I opened Dabbar, I got the error message 'The system cannot find the file specified' and then multiple error dialogue boxes saying 'Access violation at address 0045C90C in module 'Dabbar.exe'. Read of address 00000000'. The only way out of the boxes was to go into Task Manager and close down Dabbar.exe from there. ]

My Win7 has 3+ years of backdated updates still to install, I will experiment more and let you know when this issue goes as two of us have seen it in slightly different circumstances.

I'm suspecting it's the "sleep" previously on installations I have switched off the monitor and let the discs stop, but not go into sleep with "wake up on timed events". So that is my main suspect.
MarkGorst

Postby MarkGorst » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:01 am

With regard to the 64 bit - I think the problem will be two-fold in that the drivers are only 32 bit and (I think, I'm a sofware guy not hardware) so is the requirement for the PCI slot. Not aware that anyone does something like an external box to allow PCI cards to interface with 64 bit motherboards, the driver issue would be the hardest part.

I'm keeping my 32 bit machines going as long as I can.

In terms of a replacement I've seen an expensive (c $1200) card Sonifex PC-DAB1-4 Multi-Ensemble DAB+/DAB Radcap PCle Card (www.sonifex.co.uk) which will monitor 4 DAB stations at the same time.

Other than that it would appear the options are to go for a Freeview (and get limited stations) or Freeview/DAB USB stick. There seem to be a few around. I had a Freeview stick a while ago, the stick was fine but the software that came with it made it very tricky to use and regards radio you couldn't set up regular recordings (e.g. weekly). I haven't seen any detailed review of any of the USB sticks.

My backup plan should I not get my card working again was to perhaps buy the most expensive (about £15) and hope that had the best software, or maybe look around and see if their software was open enough to write something.

Anybody got any better intel ?
MarkGorst

Postby Kenward » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:28 am

MarkGorst wrote:Other than that it would appear the options are to go for a Freeview (and get limited stations) or Freeview/DAB USB stick. There seem to be a few around. I had a Freeview stick a while ago, the stick was fine but the software that came with it made it very tricky to use and regards radio you couldn't set up regular recordings (e.g. weekly). I haven't seen any detailed review of any of the USB sticks.

The Hauppuage USB two-channel WinTV-dualHD stick gets most of the radio channels I need. It also allows scheduled recordings, although if you go for "season record" it eccentrically catches all three broadcasts of a programme on Radio 4 Extra.

The Hauppuage software is horrible. It also records radio on an odd (.ts) format. Then again, it is at a higher quality than the DAB broadcasts.
MK
Kenward

Return to Support - DAB Bar